This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I use and love or think my readers will find helpful. For more information, go to my Disclosure + Disclaimer Policy.
Covid has been in the spotlight of 2020, and the fear of sickness has intensified. Unfortunately, other viruses and infections don’t care if there is a pandemic. Even though we have all been taking lengthy measures to avoid the spread of germs, flu and cold season is here, and immunity is not guaranteed. I don’t mean to set in fear, but to simply remind you can’t avoid everything. You or your little one may get sick, and it will be ok! Just use the tools below to help lessen the chances and intensity of illnesses.
A balanced diet and limiting processed foods and sugars allow our gut to more effectively digest and absorb beneficial nutrients that will help boost our immune system. Don’t let this overwhelm you; go to my post here that talks about the toddler diet and encouraging and exposing nutritious foods.
For our toddlers to better fight off infections by making sure they are getting enough sleep. 10-12 hours a night is the general guide for toddlers. Encourage early bedtime by setting up a soothing nighttime routine at a consistent (early) sleep, and your little one is more likely to get the rest they need.
Vitamins and Supplements
Sickness is inevitable, especially with kids, but they must have a backup when their bodies are fighting off illness. The gut holds most of the body’s immune support; it’s essential to take probiotics and other essential vitamins to help fight and recover its immune systems. I especially love Mary Ruth’s (see my vitamin and dosage guide below), but listed are vitamins tried and true.
Please consult with your health care provider before using products. Check age requirement and dosage. Some of these supplements are 3+, 4+, and I have felt comfortable lowering the dosage for my kids at 2yrs.
Mary Ruth’s – My favorite for the following reasons:
For my Mary Ruth’s dosage guide, download below
- Completely organic and non-GMO
- Plant-based + vegan (meaning fewer allergens)
- NO added sugars
- Gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, and corn-free (which is excellent if you have allergies in your family)
- No dyes, preservatives, no chemicals
- SO MANY OPTIONS for supplements, and there is something for everybody.
- The liquid vitamins are proven to have a better absorption rate than capsules.
My Kind – Come in a close second to Mary Ruth’s and slightly more affordable.
- Completely organic and non-GMO, Vegan
- Free from processed sugars
- Soy + diary free
- Kids like the taste
- Contain a wide variety of essential nutrients
- Free of common allergens, including milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, gluten, and wheat.
- Does contain sugar, but free of artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup
- My kids like the taste of these the best
If you or your child gets sick, keep calm, and do the following things to help lessen or prevent the spread of sickness.
- Drink lots of water
- Wash your hands
- Sanitize surfaces and common areas
- Lay low and Rest